I'd go against a tank with a shank for my dreams.

This blog is simply my attempt to share with my friends and anyone else who happens upon it, music I'm into that I think they would like too.

It's not any genre or type specific. It's just music.

Besides, it's all an intangible pattern of noise and racket anyway.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Shake Ray Turbine

Full Service Quartet split Divine Hookup Split The Sauce of Solution
Shake Ray Turbine were a Little Rock, AR band that was active from the mid-90's ('94, I think) until they moved to Philadelphia and broke up in '99ish. One of the best (in my opinion) hard driven mathematic indie rock bands ever (think Faraquet or something of the ilk with a lot more attitude.)
I saw them play at Hendrix College in '99 with Fugazi. It was my first time seeing Ian MacKaye and Fugazi and, in all honesty, I thought this Arkansas quartet wiped the floor and thier asses with Fugazi.
It seemed like Guy and Ian had all this anger/frustration/energy that was just...THERE. It wasn't focused or directed. It just was. I think that is why I don't much like alot of Fugazi music. However, Shake Ray was a tough cookie to follow. They played with passion, energy, and most of all focus. They ripped through their set like a wolf through the jugular of an infant sheep. It was awesome and it solidified them as my favorite Arkansas band I ever saw or heard.

Memebers of this band went on to play in Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, Soophie Nun Squad, and even formed the website: www.arkansasrockers.com to help displaced Arkies reconnect to their punk rock roots back home.

This is their discography (so far as I can tell). It consists of a full length titled "The Sauce of Solution" and two split 7"s. One with indie rock group The Divine Hookup who contained members of The Body, Aspera ad Astra, and the owner of Landmark records who put out the first Lucero 7".

Seriously, download this file, listen to it religiously. Devour the material. It ONLY gets better with time.
It's a timless piece of music for true lovers of the mathematic rock genre.

Download Shake Ray Turbine


RIYL: Faraquet, Brainiac, Fugazi, the Mars Volta, Slint, Ted Leo, Soophie Nun Squad, At The Drive In, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment